✈️ I Pick Myself Up and Get Back in the Race! π That's Life, I Tell You, I Can't Deny It! ☠️
Congratulations, Your Digital Dollar Was Made by a Cosmetic Surgeon
Some sentences sound like they were generated by an AI specifically instructed to make finance seem suspicious.
“USDT is back in the news.”
Okay.
“Tether is now one of the most important pieces of infrastructure in the digital-asset economy.”
Sure.
“The guy behind it is an Italian cosmetic surgeon.”
Excuse me?
Because apparently somewhere along the way, capitalism decided that the obvious career progression was:
plastic surgery → computer parts → digital currency → $89 billion fortune.
And honestly, I respect the plot.
Giancarlo Devasini studied medicine in Milan, became a cosmetic surgeon, left medicine after a couple of years, moved into computers, and eventually became a central figure behind Tether and USDT, the world's largest dollar-tethered stablecoin. Today he is chairman of Tether and, according to Forbes estimates reported this month, Italy's richest person.
This raises several questions.
The first is: what exactly was wrong with being a cosmetic surgeon?
Was he sitting there one afternoon, holding a scalpel, thinking, “You know what? I could make people look younger, but what I really want is to create a digital dollar that becomes a gigantic piece of the international financial plumbing.”
Meanwhile, the rest of us are still trying to figure out whether our checking account charges a $12 monthly fee. It does.
USDT is supposed to be boring. That's the entire point of a stablecoin. One USDT is intended to represent approximately one U.S. dollar.
Except Tether is anything but boring.
The company has grown into a financial behemoth, and recent reporting has once again put its ownership, enormous profits, reserves and influence under the microscope. The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists recently described Tether as a roughly $200 billion company whose USDT token underpins an enormous digital-asset market.
And somewhere above all of this financial plumbing is an Italian former cosmetic surgeon who became one of the richest people on Earth.
This is the sort of thing that makes you wonder whether you've accidentally wandered into a deleted episode of MobTube written by a financial analyst.
Instead of cash in a suitcase, there's USDT.
Instead of saying, “I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse,” someone is apparently saying, “I'm going to maintain a one-to-one dollar tether.”
Same basic energy.
Different spreadsheet.
And the funniest part is that USDT is supposed to make money boring.
It is supposed to be the stable thing sitting quietly in the corner while Bitcoin does its impression of a roller coaster.
But now the stablecoin itself has become one of the most fascinating characters in the entire digital-asset story.
So congratulations.
You thought you were buying a digital dollar.
You were actually buying a tiny piece of an international financial soap opera starring an Italian cosmetic surgeon who somehow became a billionaire several times over.
At this point, I'm not even asking what could possibly go wrong.
I'm asking whether he still knows how to do Botox.